The National School Safety Center, sponsor of America’s Safe Schools Week, offers 13 primary strategies to help inform, persuade, and integrate school safety and public opinion.
1. Convince your school board, superintendent and principals that quality education requires safe, disciplined and peaceful schools
2. Develop a district wide safe schools plan, as well as individual plans for each school in the system
3. Develop a school safety clearinghouse for current literature and data on school safety issues
4. Establish a systematic, district wide mandatory incident reporting system
5. Prepare a school safety public information brochure
6. Develop safety policies
7. Develop and regularly update a school safety fact sheet for your district
8. Create a school safety advisory group
9. Support America’s Safe Schools Week
10. Develop and maintain a community resource file of people known for their abilities to shape public opinion and accomplish goals
11. Build a public relations team, starting with school employees
12. Create a comprehensive identity program for your district
13. Publish a district magazine or newsletter
Graphic via ClipArts.