Since February 2009, Stephen Luce has served as the Executive Director for the Indiana Sheriffs Association. As the Executive Director, he administers all affairs of the Association including: statewide training for all Sheriffs and their employees, legislation, fundraising, annual membership drive, acts as a liaison for the Sheriffs in communicating to State Offices and the Governor Pence’s Office, and organize and supervise research and educational programs for the Association.
In 1985, Luce began his career in the Knox County Work Release Program as a supervisor of the work release program. In 1990, he was hired on to the Vincennes Police Department as a Patrolman working much of his time as a School Liaison Officer. In 1997, he was appointed as a Deputy with the Knox County Sheriff’s Office and was elected as the Knox County Sheriff in 2002. During his term as the Knox County Sheriff, Luce served on the board of directors for the Indiana Sheriff’s Association, and in 2007, he was appointed president of the association. In 2007, he was also appointed by Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels to the Indiana Juvenile Justice Advisory Board. Luce graduated from the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy in June of 1990 after studying at Indiana University, Hanover College and Murray State University.
- *2012-2014 National Sheriffs’ Association Jail Advisory Committee Member
- *2012-2014 Chairman of the National Sheriffs’ Association of State Sheriffs’ Association Executive Directors
- *2013 Vice-Chair of the National Sheriffs’ Association of State Sheriffs’ Association Executive Directors
- *2010 Chair of the Indiana Sheriff s Association Sex Offender Registry Committee
- *2010 Secretary for the National Sheriff s Association State Executive Directors and Presidents Committee
- *Indiana American Legion Lewis Schmidt Law Officer of the Year award (2006)
- *Sagamore of the Wabash Award (2007)
- *Distinguished Hoosier Award (2007)
- *Indiana Veteran s of Foreign Wars Law Officer of the Year Award (2008)