School Safety Across the Nation
In 2018, the Police Foundation staff conducted a comprehensive public domain scan of state legislation from all 50 states and the District of Columbia related to the following aspects of school safety and security:
- Facility security and assessment requirements;
- Creation and identification of roles and responsibilities for state school safety centers and school safety teams/committees
- Requirements for school administrators and faculty
- Allocation of funds for improving school safety and security
- All-hazards emergency planning and preparedness
The Police Foundation also reviewed legislation and amendments passed by state legislatures and signed into law following the mass violence attacks at schools in Parkland, Florida, and Santa Fe, Texas. Seven states—Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island—officially codified new significant school safety and security laws that address at least one of the aspects mentioned above. The legislative review utilized open source research, and encompasses all legislation that was officially codified by September 11, 2018.
Learn about how to read and interpret the Police Foundation’s findings in these helpful PowerPoint presentations:
Explore school safety legislation and promising practices in each state.